Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Party Planning

I live smack dab in the middle of Virginia (what is known as Central Virginia). I am not sure if I am blessed or cursed with the fact that we are also a great state for wine making. Where I am located is also pretty much smack dab like the Napa Valley of Virginia in essence. As a matter of fact, a winery is technically one road up from me. It's actually easier for me to walk than to drive to it - luckily it's topographically illogical to do that (not to mention WW-wise illogical to do that too).

The Virginia Renaissance Fair has moved closer (it's now in the same county we live in) and Jennifer and I were hoping to go to that for the first time with our hubbies. But with our current finances, we decided to hold off for now. Instead we're going to get together, probably play the Wii, and I'm going to do something I've wanted to do for awhile - a Tapas party. When Jennifer and I first started to learn about wine together, we went to a Wine Festival in Powahatan that showcased a bunch of state wineries. We fell in love with a sangria that ended up being made by the winery right up the street from me (see why I say cursed?).

I am searching my WW stuff for recipes. I really wish there was an easier way to search my WW magazines. Just in case anyone else is going to search for them - here's a few I found in what I own, including a few that I thought sounded good. Not all are what I'm going to make either. The WW site does have two that come up when you put Tapas in the search bar, but that's it. [all typos mine *wink*] This is just a quick check of a few I knew would have something.

WWM June 2004: Flavors of Spain
Shrimp in Garlic Sauce p 164
Sauteed Clams and Chorizo p 165
Dining Tapas Style additions: [not recipes]
assorted olives
cubes of good quality lean smoked ham
cubes of Spanish semi-soft cheese, such as manchego
roasted peppers drizzled w/ sherry vinegar
warm crusty bread

WWM M/J 2004 Tapas for Two:
Garlic Shrimp p 101
Pipirrana (Pepper, Tomato, and Cucumber Salsa) p 132
Marinated Mushrooms p 133

WWM Nov/Dec 2006 p 136
Chorizo-Stuffed Mushrooms

WWM M/J 2001 A Little Taste of Spain p 99-103
Spicy Red Peppers p 99
White Bean Salad p 100
Seville Artichoke Salad p 100
Shrimp in Garlic Sauce p 101
Spanish Roasted Potato Salad p 101
Figs Wrapped in Ham p 102
Spanish Potato Tortilla p 102
Cerveza-Marinated Chicken Skewers p 103
Minute Tapas Ideas:
Thin slices of jamon serrano, prosciutto, or high quality deli ham wrapped around precut chunks of ripe melon and held together with a toothpick
Roasted red peppers (from the deli or a jar)
Bean salad: one (15 oz) can cannellini (white kidney) beans, tossed with one can drained, olive-oil packed solid white tuna
Marinated mushrooms (from deli or jar)
Grape tomatoes, halved and drizzled with low-fat vinaigrette
Canned smoked oysters or mussels
Stuffed green olives (try anchovy- or tuna-stuffed, available at Latino and gourmet grocery stores).

WWM Mar/Apr 2002
Romesco (Red Pepper) Dip p 109

WWM July/Aug 2003
White Gazpacho with Green Grapes p 82

WW Simply Delicious Cookbook
Spicy Garlic Shrimp p 26
Savory Potato and Ham Chunks p 27
Hogazas with Sausage and Peppers p 29
Chunky Balsamic Mushrooms p 30

No comments: