Tuesday, July 31, 2018

I’m still alive!

I’ve fallen in love with making my own kimchi and using it in Kimchi Pancakes- so much so that I now make my own pancake mix for it. No I am not Korean (I haven’t tested my DNA though *grin*). I know it’s easily found at Asian grocery stores but I’ve got a bit of a problem with Charcot foot going on (probably getting surgery soon to pin my arch basically). Most of the grocery stores in Richmond are more Chinese/Vietnamese/Thai based. Luckily New Grand Mart has arrived and is Korean based but with Japanese, Chinese, Greek, Indian, and even Mexican Food stuff. But still- I would have to drive there and it’s my right foot that is effected (and affected too I guess *laugh*). I combed a few recipes and decided on a combination like this: My Homemade Korean Pancake Mix Makes about 13 cups 12 cups all-purpose flour (I’ve also made with King Arthur’s White Wheat) 1 1/2 cups rice flour, potato flour or cornstarch 4 Tbsp salt 4 Tbsp sugar 4 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds 2 Tbsp black pepper 7 tsp onion-garlic powder (2 Tbsp + 1 tsp) [I mix garlic powder and onion powder in a container) Combine and store. Use 1 cup mix, 1/2 cup kimchi with brine (chopped if large pieces), 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil and enough water to make a thick (waffle-style) batter. I like to let it sit for a bit in the fridge before using like a normal pancake. [turn pancakes when they look dry on top-these don’t bubble like normal pancake mix since there’s no baking powder.]

No comments: