Saturday, April 19, 2008

Buttermilk Oatmeal Pancakes

Picture044.jpg
Picture044.jpg,
originally uploaded by dibranchia.
This was breakfast this morning. The recipe caught my eye as I was reading the May 2008 Vegetarian Times magazine. They were quite tasty, although I think next time I'm going to leave out the cinnamon - while tasty - I would prefer to add cinnamon with my topping instead of inside the pancake.

I'm sorry for being quiet this week. Some medical problems cropped up (nothing major) and the anniversary of the Tech shootings got me down more than I thought they would too (and sooner than I thought since they were all over the Sunday paper beforehand also). I did menu plan. I actually planned on Friday of last week, but wrote it out on paper, and never actually transferred to the computer - and hence never made it to I'm an Organzing Junkie's Menu Plan Monday. I mostly followed it. I did move a few days around, eating leftovers on days where I didn't feel good and didn't cook - but I had leftover eating days built in, they were just different days than I planned for. So what did I fix?

I finally fixed the Cooking Light Spaghetti and Meatballs. The meatballs were great, but the spaghetti sauce wasn't. Next time I'm sticking to my normal spaghetti sauce (the same one that I use as a pizza sauce). The sauce didn't have any garlic or really any taste to it at all. It didn't take long to make the meal, but I dirtied up a lot of pans. Next time I'm going to do everything ahead of time, and I'll probably make a large batch of meatballs (course with just 2 of us, it makes a lot of meatballs) and a large batch of sauce and then I can pull from the freezer as needed.

I also finally fixed that Sausage and Couscous recipe from the WW cookbook. That was really good and quick too. It was another night where I wasn't feeling good, but I knew it wouldn't take long to fix so instead of leftovers I threw it together on the fly. Instead of keeping the sausages together I cut them up and sauteed them like that. We liked it.

I also finally made the Cooking light Potato Soup with Chili peppers (I can't remember the real name now). It came from that menu I posted. YUMMY! I couldn't find poblano peppers so I used some Anaheim. It still turned out great.

Enchiladas were made with leftover Chicken thighs with Black Beans that I had cooked last week. These were a recipe that was cooked in the crockpot where the thighs are seasoned with taco seasoning and thrown in the CP and then shredded and the beans have just chopped red onions and lime juice and cilantro and are warmed through. It was very good per hubby - I was sick and didn't eat that night so there was a lot leftover. I just threw them in tortillas, topped with enchilada sauce and cheese and warmed through at 350-375 for about 25 minutes or so. My typical enchilada recipe that hubby loves.

Last night was Chez JJ Pizza. It's been a long time since we've had it and it's hubbys fave. His eyes light up last night as he walked in the door, tired from work last night. I didn't tell him that's what we were having.

Tonight is something I've been wanting, BBQ chicken. It's just chicken legs with bottled sauce. Since the weather's nice, and the legs were on sale, I"ll grill it on the gas grill since it's getting to be that time of the year. I'm hoping we'll be able to get another year out of our grill. It's my "CornChickyHOTHOTHOT" as I used to say when I was little. This will of course be served with some canned corn since corn on the cob isn't out yet.

No comments: