A bit ago I had mentioned that we had tried a recipe that we liked but I couldn't post the recipe since we were recipe testing it. Well, it's been posted, so I'm posting it now. :) If you follow the link to their blog, they used my comments (and someone else's) for ideas on how to use the sauce at the bottom of the post. I wonder if it was only us people from Va that tried it, or that we were just the only ones that came up with ideas to use it with?
Pork Loin Roast with Romesco Sauce
Romesco sauce is from Catalonia, in northern Spain. It's typically a puree of red peppers, tomatoes, garlic, almonds and olive oil. We've taken the oil out for a lighter version, and we've also perked it up a bit with orange juice and hot paprika. Try this with other roast or grilled meats.
Make Ahead: You can make the romesco sauce (steps 1 to 3) hours or days ahead.
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes.
Hands-on time: 20 minutes.
5 red bell peppers, cut lengthwise into flat panels
12 garlic cloves, peeled
1 cup orange juice
6 tablespoons tomato paste
6 tablespoons slivered almonds
5 teaspoons hot paprika
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons ground sage
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
4-pound center-cut pork loin roast
1. Preheat the broiler. Broil the bell pepper pieces, skin-side up, 4 inches from the heat for 12 minutes or until the skin is charred. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, peel them.
2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan of boiling water, blanch the garlic for 2 minutes. Drain.
3. Transfer the bell peppers and garlic to a food processor along with the orange juice, tomato paste, almonds and paprika. Process to a smooth puree.
4. Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a small bowl, stir together the oregano, sage, salt and sugar. Rub the spice mixture into the pork. Roast for 30 minutes.
5. Reduce the temperature to 350°F and roast for 20 to 30 minutes, or until browned and cooked through but still juicy. Let the roast sit 10 minutes before slicing. Pass the romesco sauce on the side.
Makes 12 servings
Each serving has: 282 calories, 13 g fat (3.9 g saturated), 32 g protein, 9 g carbohydrates (2 g fiber), 85 mg cholesterol, 419 mg sodium. Good source of: thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, vitamin C, selenium, zinc.