Friday, November 28, 2008

The Remains of the Day

Well, actually I don't have many - I left most of them at MiL's. I came home with a bit of stuffing and a few bits of the bird to make some broth. We left most of the carcass and the leftovers there. You see, we've got another Thanksgiving Day meal to look forward to on Saturday - and tonight is Homemade pizza night so we don't really have time to eat them. Not to mention the fact that there's 3 people there that CAN eat them. Things went GREAT! Mary and I both said that our part of the cooking was easy - so I think we split the cooking duties great! :) The only thing we need to remember for the next time we do this: Have some appetizers. It's not a real big thing, but some little finger food thingies would be a good idea to nosh on until and after the big meal so we're not stuck with eating dessert all night long afterwards. (OR before hahahaha). Everything was pretty much done ahead of time so the only thing that really needed to be cooked was the turkey. All I did was take a bit of the butter (it was about 1 Tbsp or so) that had been sitting out in a bowl from breakfast or so, mix in some salt-free All-Purpose seasoning (I know it had garlic, oregano, basil, and thyme in it at least) olive oil and some salt and pepper and then I rubbed that under the skin on the meat -and found the bag of innards that was stuffed in the neck (whew! - it's been a while since I've cooked a whole turkey, we got the neck out already). We stuffed the inside with celery, carrots and onions (no lemon in the house or I would have used that too). I rubbed my herby oiled hands on the outside of the turkey, and put it breast-side down on a rack of celery. Then we sprayed the back of the turkey with vegetable cooking spray, sprinkled with salt and pepper and threw it in the oven. Next time we're at MiL's we'll try her convection bake part of her oven, this time we did the normal bake. I've only used it when I worked as a chef and that was a professional oven, not a home oven. We did use it a bit when we were reheating the sides.

John took our Wii there, and Adam is hooked. hehehehe! He's left it there for the weekend. My arm is a bit sore, it's been a while since I've played the sports stuff. I wonder how Adam's feels. It would be a good thing for them, but if they go to China I wonder if they would be able to take it. They would like to get an Ipod so they can put all their CD's on it so they don't have to cart all that over (they hope to be in China for about 5 years or so). Does anyone happen to know how ITunes or Amazon or anything like that works in China or can give any ideas of something different? At this point I can't think of anyone that I know that has traveled there recently, only to Japan, which isn't quite the same.

So what did we have? (I'll post the recipes I have at the end I need to get the others from Mary especially since I should put them in the cookbook):

Herb-Roasted Turkey (11 lbs - it was a good size for 5 3/4 of us ; one is toddler one is gestating)

Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes: recipe is adapted from two sources - 30 Day Gourmet and Oregon Live. 3DG for the freezer info with the variations and lower fat and the Oregonian because they had a bit different variation and I used their slow cooker reheat version. I've made it before, and it's mostly what I do anyway, kinda, when I make everyday mashed potatoes when you mix the two. I use cream cheese when I make Cauliflower mashed potatoes (leave out the sour cream). And instead of sour cream I use buttermilk when using mashed potatoes and will sometimes use cream cheese instead of butter if I have some (I don't often use cream cheese so it will go bad if I don't use it in other ways). I of course don't use an egg for Everyday Mashed Potatoes. What I ended up doing is making it the day before only because I had the time - if I didn't I would have made and frozen- and put into my crockpot liner. I used a 5lb bag of Yukon golds (plus 3 extra that I had to use), 1 egg, 8 oz lite cream cheese (I don't have a use for 2 oz), 1 cup lite sour cream, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 Tbsp salt, 1 Tbsp pepper, 1 oz melted butter drizzled on top when done, no paprika or almonds.

Slow-cooked Green Beans: Mary made these- but this I can give - canned green beans in the crock. We drained and rinsed the beans, added a cup of water and 1 bouillon cube (used beef - I didn't think to bring my ham base- btw if you can get this do! Penzey's sells some but I actually get the Better Than Bouillon brand in the grocery store), turned to high and let cook while the turkey cooked.

Stuffing/Dressing - I just used a package of Pepperidge Farm Country Style CUBED because it's what I grew up with (well the cubed style - I can't find the actual brand I grew up with here). It doesn't matter whether you like cubed or not. ;) I sauteed chopped celery, onions, carrots, garlic and portobello mushrooms until soft, added veggie/chicken broth (reconstituted better than bouillon mix of veggie and chicken) and added stuffing. Threw into casserole dish and put into fridge until needed the next day. Reheated uncovered with rest of sides (I think we did it at 375 (regular/ then 350 convection) until hot. The casserole dish was deep enough that with it being uncovered you could get both crispy and moist stuffing for those that liked it.

Gravy: Since I wasn't sure how much we'd get out of the turkey I went ahead and reconstituted some chicken broth (BTB once more) - 4 cups worth - and added 4 Tbsp cornstarch. I added poultry seasoning and some salt and pepper (I use reduced sodium versions of BTB when I can) and tasted it (it tastes a bit cornstarchy of course but you want to taste the spices). I was mixing it all in a quart canning jar so it was easy to mix and carry. Took that with me- and you'll notice there was no fat in there. There was about a cup or so of "drippings" from the turkey (I didn't add anything to the pan. I drained it off into the pan and added the broth and stirred it until it boiled and thickened. Tasted to see if I needed to adjust the seasonings. Now this was a thin gravy -but that is what I grew up with (probably because it spreads better between a lot of people) I could have added more cornstarch mixed with a bit of cold water or even mixed up a bit of flour with water (or kneaded butter and flour together) and added it to the gravy too.

Bread - I brought two of the loaves of bread (we only ate a bit of one of them) I made the other day there. This is the Split-Top Butter Loaf (I usually call it Buttermilk instead of butter since the butter is brushed on top and I think of the buttermilk used IN it). It's John's favorite bread. I've posted the recipe before, but I'll post it again. I made 4 loaves the other day because 1 of the loaves was for us for dinner that night, well 1/2 of it was, and then I left the loaf from Thanksgiving at MiL's and I am taking the remaining 2 loaves to the remaining Thanksgiving dinner this weekend. I will leave at least 1 of them there, if the second one is cut into it will get left, but if not it will come home for hubby's lunches (my sister is making Jailhouse Rolls too so I imagine it will be coming home).

Sweet Potato Casserole: This is the one with a Pecan/Brown Sugar Topping. Mary made this and I will have to get her recipe.

Cranberry Apple Crisp: Mary also made this and I need to get her recipe

Cappuccino Biscotti: I made two versions. One with nuts went to the first celebration. The second one without nuts is going to our second. My sister has found out she's allergic to peanuts (so far just peanuts) but her son is allergic to peanuts also but has a bit of a reaction to tree nuts too. I am taking a few for her that have walnuts though. I made the second batch with mini chocolate chips instead. Although my sister has also just found out she's allergic to celery, onions, carrots, and soy (including soy lecithin which is in chocolate chips, Pam, and can be one of those "natural or artificial flavor/ingredients"). She already knew she was allergic to shellfish (she LOVES (loved) shrimp), potatoes (she can eat them mashed but can't peel them), and apples/pears (can't eat them raw). She was just tested for a milk allergy too - she cut out milk and started feeling better too - and to replace milk- soy is usually used. And since I'm sensitive to eggs and milk - I use soy to replace those a lot of time so I'll have to keep that in mind. But at least as a family we're not really big nut fans, much less cooked nuts. The big thing - peanut butter- Cade was asking about those peanut butter cookies with a Hershey's kiss on them. I still need to figure out what to do for them. I still haven't played with them. Course now Kelly can't eat them.

Anyway. The other desserts Mary made and I am pretty sure she got the recipes out of Grandmother Sommerville's cookbook (I have a copy) but I want to make sure before I post them (not that they are that secret). They are pumpkin and pecan pies. Hubby was very happy, he had 3 pieces of pie. You see, I don't like pumpkin OR pecan pie so it's not like I make them that often. He was happy to learn that my sister LOVES pumpkin pie and will be getting it this weekend too. I, once more, won't be getting a pie I like. The only time I ever get a pie I like is when we go to his Grandmother Sommerville's house. My two favorite pies: cherry and apple, and the apple has to be homemade; ie not out of a metal can (home canned is fine) the cherry can be. My mom keeps trying to tell me that she made me a cherry pie for Presidents day but very rarely did she. At least I got an apple pie a bit more often around Christmas. I guess I'm a bit bitter. ;)


Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
http://www.oregonlive.com Published November 18, 2008
Makes 12 servings
This can be made up to a week in advance. If preparing ahead, place in an ovenproof baking dish, allow to cool slightly, cover and refrigerate.

5 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 15 medium)
6 ounces light cream cheese
1 cup light sour cream
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 egg whites, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon butter or margarine

Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain; mash until there are no lumps. Add cream cheese, sour cream, onion powder, salt, pepper and egg whites; blend well. Spray a 9-by-13-inch casserole with nonstick cooking spray. Add potato mixture. Dot with butter. Cool slightly, cover and refrigerate up to 7 days. Take out of refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, covered, 40 minutes or until steaming hot in center.

Note: Alternatively, potatoes can be reheated in a slow-cooker. Take potatoes out of refrigerator about 3 1/2 hours before you plan to serve them. Place in slow-cooker. Dot with butter. Cook on low heat for 3 hours, stirring once or twice. They can be held an additional 30 minutes or longer.

PER SERVING: calories: 224 (27% from fat); protein: 6 grams; total fat: 7 grams; saturated fat: 4 grams cholesterol: 21 mg; sodium: 287 mg; carbohydrate: 35 grams; dietary fiber: 3 grams

Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes (30 Day Gourmet)
Makes 7 cups (serves 14)

5 lbs potatoes
1 egg
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp salt
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup sliced almonds, optional
1 pinch paprika

Cook potatoes. Drain well. Combine potatoes, cream cheese, egg, garlic powder and salt. Mash well by hand or with electric mixer. Spoon into spray-treated or greased 3 quart casserole or 9x13 pan. Drizzle or brush melted butter over potatoes. Sprinkle with almonds and paprika for color if desired. Wrap pan tightly with freezer paper, foil or place dish in a 2 gallon freezer bag. You may also put the potato mixture into a 1 gallon freezer bag adding the melted butter and paprika just before baking. Label and freeze. Thaw completely before serving. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes until the top is golden.

Variations:
Stir in 1/4 cup of crumbled, crisp bacon (regular or turkey) for great flavor.
Potatoes may also be topped with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese.

Nutritional Info: Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes
Per Serving: 227 Calories 10g Fat (38.4% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 31mg Cholesterol; 243mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Fat.

Nutritional Info: Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes - Lite
Replaced the cream cheese with light cream cheese. No bacon or cheese was added.
Per Serving: 207 Calories; 7g Fat (30.2% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 22mg Cholesterol; 286mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Fat.

Nutritional Info: Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes with Bacon
Added 1/4 C. of crumbled bacon to recipe.
Per Serving: 251 Calories; 12g Fat (42.2% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 35mg Cholesterol; 310mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Fat.

Nutritional Info: Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes with Bacon - Lite
Add 1/4 C. of turkey bacon to recipe. Replaced cream cheese with light cream cheese.
Per Serving: 218 Calories; 8g Fat (32.2% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 26mg Cholesterol; 342mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1-1/2 Fat.

Nutritional Info: Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes with Cheese
Added 1/2 C. of cheddar cheese to recipe.
Per Serving: 243 Calories; 11g Fat (40.8% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 35mg Cholesterol; 268mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Fat.

Nutritional Info: Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes with Cheese - Lite
Added 1/2 C. of low fat cheddar cheese to recipe. Replaced cream cheese with light cream cheese.
Per Serving: 214 Calories; 7g Fat (30.5% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 23mg Cholesterol; 311mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Fat.


Chez JJ Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
Make these as healthy (or not) as you want them to be by using varying what you use.
Adapted from http://www.oregonlive.com and 30DayGourmet

Makes 12-14 servings (7 cups)
This can be made up to a week in advance. If preparing ahead, place in an ovenproof baking dish, allow to cool slightly, cover and refrigerate.

5 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 15 medium)
6 -8 ounces light cream cheese
1 cup light sour cream
1 teaspoons onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon black pepper
1 egg or 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
1-3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup sliced almonds, optional
1 pinch paprika, optional

Cook potatoes in large pot of salted boiling water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well; mash until there are no lumps. Add cream cheese, sour cream, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and egg; blend well. Spoon into spray-treated or greased 3 quart casserole, crockpot liner or 9x13 pan, or you may also put the potato mixture into a 1 gallon freezer bag . Drizzle or brush melted butter over potatoes (unless using a 1 gallon freezer bag - adding the melted butter and paprika just before baking). Sprinkle with almonds and paprika for color if desired.

If not Freezing: Cover and refrigerate up to 7 days. Take out of refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.

To Freeze: Wrap pan tightly with freezer paper, foil or place dish in a 2 gallon freezer bag. Label and freeze.

To Serve: Thaw completely before serving. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, covered, 40 minutes or until steaming hot in center or bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes until the top is golden.
Alternatively, potatoes can be reheated in a slow-cooker. Take potatoes out of refrigerator about 3 1/2 hours before you plan to serve them. Place in slow-cooker. Dot with butter. Cook on low heat for 3 hours, stirring once or twice. They can be held an additional 30 minutes or longer.

Variations:
Stir in 1/4 cup of crumbled, crisp bacon (regular or turkey) for great flavor.
Potatoes may also be topped with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese.


Cappuccino Biscotti
Source: Cooking Light March, 1995
HU: 1.5
Servings: 30
Posted by: Emily (EJWyatt)
December 14, 2004

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
2 teaspoons hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 egg white
Vegetable cooking spray

Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine coffee granules and hot water in a small bowl. Stir in vanilla and next two ingredients, and add to flour mixture, stirring until well blended.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 7 or 8 times. Shape dough into a 16-inch-long roll. Place roll on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and flatten roll to 1-inch thickness.

Bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Remove the roll from the baking sheet to a wire rack, and let cool for 10 minutes. Cut the roll diagonally into 30 (1/2-inch) slices, and place, cut sides down, on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn cookies over, and bake an additional 10 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove cookies from the baking sheet, and let cool completely on wire rack.

Yield: 2 1/2 dozen (serving size: 1 cookie)
CALORIES 75 (16% from fat); FAT 1.3g (sat fat 0.2g, mono fat 0.4g, poly fat 0.6g); PROTEIN 2g; CARBOHYDRATE 13.7g; FIBER 0.3g; CHOLESTEROL 15mg; IRON 0.6mg; SODIUM 67mg; CALCIUM 10mg


Split-Top Butter Loaf
From: Family Circle Magazine 2/1/00
Makes: 2 loaves (12 slices each)

1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
1 envelope active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons butter, in pieces
6 cups bread flour
Topping:
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Stir sugar into warm water in small cup. Sprinkle yeast over top. Let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.

Heat buttermilk, egg, salt, honey and butter in saucepan until butter melts and mixture registers 110 to 120 degrees F on instant-read thermometer. Transfer to large bowl.

Add 2 cups bread flour; beat until smooth. Stir in yeast mixture. Add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time until dough holds together and pulls away from sides of bowl.

Transfer dough to lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to large greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover with clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Let rest for 5 minutes. Grease two 9 1/4 x 5 1/4 x 2 3/4-inch loaf pans. Divide dough in half; lightly coat halves with flour. Gently pat each half into 7 x 5-inch rectangle. Transfer to the 2 prepared loaf pans. Cover with clean kitchen towel. Let rise in warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 1/4 hours.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. With a razor blade or very sharp knife, make a slash down length of each loaf.

Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 15 minutes. Open oven; pull rack with breads out slightly. Brush loaves with some of the melted butter. Bake another 15 minutes. Brush again with butter. Bake another 5 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove loaves from pans to wire rack to cool.

No comments: