Saturday, March 21, 2009

A change of pizza

Well, the cupcakes didn't happen. I was hoping the migraine would go away and it didn't. I ended up picking up two creme brulees at Krogers instead. It turned out ok, they weren't great - but it was better than having a dozen Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with cream cheese frosting staring at us. I will still make them at some point, so I'll still have that temptation to deal with, though. I guess it's better than trying to deal with a whole Chocolate Orange Cheesecake though (which one year I will make also).

The pizzas last night were good - at least for me. Can't really say they were hubby's faves though. It was a take off of a pizza I made when I ran the demo kitchen at HomePlace. I changed it quite a lot though last night, it was more of a taco salad pizza last night. I made some "refried" beans using Fantastic Foods dried beans from the bulk bins at Good Foods Grocery (a local natural foods store). I LOVE their refrieds better than the canned, especially since I can make as much as I want/need. And the flavoring is just perfect. I can also add olive oil if I want or leave them fat-free. I chopped some romaine lettuce that I wanted to use up, and tossed it was some taco sauce (about 2 Tbsps worth), 2% shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and chopped green onions (if I had olives I would have added those too). I drained some Fire roasted tomatoes (I would have used fresh if I had them) and used the liquid to reconstitute the beans. I mixed that with some leftover Pico de Gallo and then mixed that with the refried beans. I spread the bean mixture on the par-cooked pizza blanks. Topped with a bit of taco sauce, some cheese and sliced pickled jalapenos. I baked it for about 12 minutes until the cheese was melted and starting to turn brown in places. When it came out of the oven I topped it with the salad and topped it with a touch of Mexican crema and a touch more taco sauce. YUM! I've been wanting taco salad, and this fit the bill. Hubby's problem with it was only that taco salad isn't one of his faves in the first place, but he said it wasn't bad.

Those pizzas up there? Those are my typical shape, amoeba. I can't make a round pizza most of the time to save my life. I've stopped trying - so we just have amoeba pizzas. They taste just the same and are much less stressful to make in the long run for me.

No comments: