Monday, August 28, 2006

My First Week

Well, it didn't go too badly. I wasn't perfect, but not too bad. I am trying to use up some of the non Ornish stuff in my freezers (like the veggie burgers that aren't totally right, and some shrimp (which my sister is allergic to: she's taking the rest of the meats though). Hubby loves couscous, and I have to admit I didn't make it that often. I'm making it more now. And he loves indian stuff, so that makes it easier. I made fresh okra for the first time (only ever had it from frozen and pickled).

Our 3 faves from this week: Pasta with Tomato-Lentil Sauce , Tomato Okra Stew, AND Chick-Pea and Vegetable Stew with Couscous. [Many more recipes can be found here: http://www.webmd.com/content/pages/17/99886 ]

The few times I had something with a moderate amount of fat, I felt bad, physically. That's a better reminder than anything else. It's an actual thing for me to point and and go: "See, you don't want to feel like that!"

I'm going to meet my mom and sister at the Charlotesville Veggie Fest at the end of Sept. (It's halfway between my house and theirs) and I'm hoping to get more ideas while there. I'm looking forward to it!

Here's the okra recipe:


* Exported from MasterCook *

TOMATO AND OKRA STEW

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2/3 cup chopped onions
2 tablespoons Minced Garlic
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups Corn Kernels -- 2 to 3 large ears
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 ground cumin
1 1/2 cups diced green bell pepper
1 1/2 cups Okra -- thinly sliced
3 cups chopped tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper -- plus 1 pinch
Salt
1/8 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper -- to taste

Braise the onions, garlic, and oregano in the 1 cup water. When the onions
begin to soften, add the corn kernels and red wine. Continue braising for
10 minutes after adding the corn.

Add the cumin, green pepper, okra, and tomatoes. Cover and stew for 45 to
60 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Stir in the cayenne and add
salt and pepper to taste.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 143 Calories; 1g Fat (7.3% calories
from fat); 5g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 33mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 3
Vegetable; 0 Fat.

NOTES : Serve this stew over Wild and Arborio Rice or another
grain dish. [ I loved it over a baked potato!!!!!]

yield: 4 cups (4 servings) by Mark Hall
Serving size 1 cup
139 calories
1.6 grams total fat
0.3 grams saturated fat
0 milligrams cholesterol


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: