Monday, June 30, 2008

Visit to Penzey's in Richmond Menu Plan Monday

We finally made it to Penzey's store in Richmond (3400 Cary St.) We met MiL in Lowe's first to pay for our new storm door - my birthday gift. And then we headed towards Cary St. The store was a bit hard to find, only because Cary St is a one way street with a lot of little stores. The store is near the VEC (Emergency Vet) so that helped me in knowing that there was a parking lot back behind there. We walked around and headed in. As we were walking in, hubby asked, "You've never been in one, right?" I confirmed this and he groaned, "We're going to be here forever." We weren't, and I used birthday money. I was able to get two spices free, one from the catalog and one from their magazine: Barbecue 3000 and Tuscan Sunset. I used the Tuscan Sunset Saturday night when I made Meatball subs. It's a salt-free Italian-style seasoning and it worked great in the meatballs as the seasoning.

I didn't pick up a whole lot and most are small bottles
Aleppo pepper ground - it's a turkish pepper that isn't too spicy and I've seen mentioned in a few places recently
Lemon extract: for when I made madelines for hubby since I don't keep lemons on hand
wasabi powder - for hubby
Brady St Cheese sprinkle - something I got as a sample a while back (I was still in college if that tells you how long it's been) that I've liked on pasta when I just fix some for myself
Smokey 4S- their seasoned salt with smoked paprika in it
Pasta Sprinkle - Italian seasoning kinda thing for pasta that also received as a sample at first that I liked
Shallot seasoning- something I've wanted to try
Vindaloo seasoning - hubby loves vindaloo (thanks to Red Dwarf) and usually I use a paste I get at the Indian grocery store
Tandoori seasoning- I love tandoori
Sate seasoning- thought I'd try it - it's not the peanut butter sauce, just for the meat
broken anise stars (this is a regular, I'm out and it's hard to find them here I usually get this at the Mennonite place near my mom's)
Breakfast sausage seasoning - I'm still trying to find a mix that I like

I did find out they don't make the Bay leaf seasoning that I loved anymore. :( I've used up the last of the large bag that mom and I split. *SIGH* It was great and I will miss it.

On Sunday we watched "The Godfather Part II" and it's a good thing that the meatballs were Saturday night. ;)

Recipe reviews for the Clean Eating mag:
Pasta Roll-ups with Turkey and Spinach: I don't like cinnamon in it - but I knew that going in. Even decreasing it to 1/4 tsp I still didn't like it. Hubby liked it fine. Next time I'll use my usual Italian seasoning though.
Spicy Chicken with Brown Rice Pilaf - Wonderful chicken. Hubby and I thought the pilaf needed more salt and pepper though.
Chicken and Rice Soup with Spring Vegetables- Tasty though I did use leftover turkey broth and turkey instead of chicken. No other changes except adding polutry seasoning, celery and onions.
Curried Chicken Salad with Tropical Fruit - YUM! Next time chop the tropical fruit a bit smaller, mine was in quite large chunks.
Turkey Meatball Subs- Double yum! I used Penzey's Tuscan Sunset (salt-free seasoning) instead of just oregano. Hubby ate 3!

Ok - My menu Plan for this week:
for more ideas: It's being held at Heavenly Homemakers since I'm an Organizing Junkie is on Vacation this week.

Monday (tonight): Fried rice (using leftover rice pilaf and some stir-fried veggies I used as a side dish)
Tues: Leftover soup
Wednesday: James BBQ (recipe below- I'm using in the Crock Pot and it works with deer meat too)
Thurs: Pork solvoki (might change - I've got pork cubes in the freezer might use the vindaloo seasoning instead)
Friday: Bratwurst (July 4th)
Saturday & Sunday: Leftovers


* Exported from MasterCook *

James Beef Barbecue

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 Lbs beef roast
4 Bermuda Onions -- cut into 1/8" thick rings
Add to taste:
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Salt
2 Tbsps Horseradish
2 Tbsps Mustard
1 C Ketchup
2 Tbsps Browning Sauce -- optional (Kitchen Boquet)
2 Tbsps Worcestershire Sauce

Add just enough water to cover onions. Add meat and stock, then mustard,
catsup, etc... Bring to a boil for 1/2 hour. Let simmer for 1 hour until
meat falls apart.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 395 Calories; 24g Fat (54.8%
calories from fat); 26g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 87mg
Cholesterol; 694mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 2 1/2
Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: