Friday, April 24, 2009

I'm back to my version of normal

It was a pretty busy few days for me once we got back. On Tuesday I had my Weight Watchers meeting (I lost 2.2 lbs!) and then my yearly eye check appointment. And on Wednesday I had the appointment for my temporary crown (at the dentist, not as a queen *sigh*). I had to get my eyes dilated while at the eye doctor so I had already planned to stay at MiL's (we were having dinner with her) instead of driving home. Neither of us really thought of the fact that I couldn't read. It wasn't funny at the time, but I do laugh now. I couldn't get into her house using the keypad, I couldn't text her or read any texts and I had to wait for her to call me since I don't know her cell phone number because I always use my contacts list. I'm glad I didn't have to wait too long.

My dentist appointment went well. I think the fact that I had my root canal last year actually helped, the tooth is just a bit sensitive around it. I was really worried more about my TMJ - after my root canal my jaw was worse than the tooth after having to hold my mouth open for so long. The dentist used a bite block and let me have breaks when he could. It helped a lot and I'm not sore at all, just a bit tender. :) I go back in a few weeks for my perm. crown. The whole reason I have to get the crown is because it turns out that the dentist that did the root canal put in a temporary filling it seems. :( I must admit, I like this dentist a lot better.

Cooking-wise it hasn't been a great week. MiL fixed us for dinner some crab-stuffed salmon at Costco that hubby has informed me we need to buy next time we go. The pea soup was moved to Wednesday instead. And last night we had Chinese steamed dumplings (not homemade, I buy them at the Chinese grocery store in their freezer section). I have made homemade ones before, but it's nice to keep a few on hand for easy meals, and this way I can even have different flavored ones too. :) Dinner tonight is going to be Papa John's pizza. Hubby has a gift card to use up, so we'll have that instead of homemade pizza tonight.

I've been having a tasty breakfast lately. I got the idea from WW Annual Recipes for Success 2009. From their 7 day Menu Planner Week 2- Bacon Tomato Grits (Stir 1 cooked and crumbled turkey bacon slice, 1/4 cup chopped tomato, and 2 Tbsp reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese into 1 cup hot cooked grits - POINTS 4)
On the WW boards a bit ago someone had mentioned a way to make single serving-size portions of polenta and I've done that instead. I've got some finely ground cornmeal from the Mennonite Relief Sale last year that I'm using and it doesn't take as long and I like a bit more water so you may have to change the amounts and directions to suit your tastes, ingredients and microwave. I did not write who I got it from though. :(

Single Serve Microwave Polenta

3/4 cup water or stock
1/4 cup polenta or cornmeal
1/4 tsp salt

Place all in a 2-3 cup microwaveable container. Mix well. Microwave on HIGH 3 minutes. Stir. Cook on HIGH 2 minutes.

When I make the Bacon Tomato Grits I make the polenta as above then add 1 Tbsp of Reduced fat real bacon bits (I buy a big bag of them at Costco but you can find them at the grocery store too, 1 Tbsp is equal to 1 slice), and the rest of the ingredients are the same. I've eaten it two days in a row. I'm thinking it would be great also served with an egg too.

No comments: