Thursday, January 24, 2008

Some older appetizer recipes...

So, this week has been a bit stressful,and I haven't been doing Weight Watchers so well. That's ok. I'm still doing it, just not as well as I should. The fact that I didn't plan is really biting me on the behind, and that's my problem. I expect a slight gain this week. It also doesn't help that I've got a migraine (and felt kinda crappy) thanks to the weather all this week too (I think the Topamax will have to be increased by another pill).

On Sunday we're heading back to where I grew up for my my mom's belated birthday dinner. My mom requested Sauerbraten. My sister is handling that bit, along with a cake - probably angel food and the veggies. I'm making rolls (and some Pumpernickel bread since my SFiL has never had it) and fudge. I've never made fudge. My mom and sister love fudge, so that's why I'm making it. That way it's not sitting around their house. I have my grandmother's cookbooks. She wasn't a cook by any stretch of the imagination, my great-grandmother was (Nana). BUT she loved desserts. And the cookbooks where there are fudge recipes are all dirty. :) So that's the recipes I'll use. I need to go buy a candy thermometer. The last time I made candy it was hard candy and I was living at mom's still. I hope I don't end up with Chocolate soup! Anyway I am going through a few of the cookbooks (one of them is a set of 'encyclopedia of cooking' types. The one most of these recipes is coming from: "Mary Margaret McBride Encyclopedia of Cooking"). There's some interesting recipes. Sauerkraut Cocktail anyone? I thought I'd post them here so I can hopefully remember them - Not all of them I actually want to make, some of them are just...odd. There's a whole section on Party Sandwich Loaves. Those Sandwiches that where sliced or hollowed out and filled with usually savory fillings and then put back together and frosted with usually a mayonnaise based "frosting" to look like a cake along with "pies" that were made with round loaves of bread too. Like this one:

Canape Pie

1 round loaf of rye bread
1/3 cup softened butter or margarine
1/4 cup mayonnaise
caviar
sieved egg yolk
cream cheese
sardine paste
shrimp paste
salmon paste
pickled onions

Cut a slice horizontally (1/2 inch thick) from the widest part of the loaf of bread. Trim off the crusts.

Mix the butter or margarine and mayonnaise and spread generously on the slice of bread. Mark the slice in concentric circles, using cutters and bowls of various sizes.

Fill the center ring with caviar, marking the center ring with a sieved egg yolk. Fill the next ring with cream cheese pressed through a pastry tube. Fill the next rings with sardine paste, shrimp paste and salmon paste, separated by cream cheese.

Pipe an edge of cream cheese around the outer edge. Line the rim of the plate with tiny pickled onions.

Cut the canape in wedges like pie. Serve cold.


This one actually sounds pretty good:

Caraway Cheese Custard

1 1/2 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 medium sized onion, minced
3 Tbsp sour cream
3/4 cup finely shredded Swiss cheese
3 eggs, well beaten
1/2 tsp salt
dash of black pepper
1/2 tsp caraway seed
pastry

Put bacon in frying pan and cook until lightly browned but not crisp. Add minced minced onion and cool. Add sour cream, cheese, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix well.

Line an 8 inch pie pan with pastry having top crust come just to edge of pan. Pour in filling and sprinkle with caraway seed (or ground caraway).

Bake in moderate oven (350 F) until custard is set.

Cut into thin wedges when cool and serve as an appetizer. This is an appetizer that requires plate and fork and usually is accompanied by wine.

There is an unusual fascination with hot dogs (frankfurters) and this cookbook is dated 1958. There is even a canape topping of mashed baked beans, topped with sliced hot dogs and stuffed olives. But this recipe I might actually make, it's basically Cheese Biscuit covered hot dogs, kinda like a homemade hot pocket I guess. It's odd to me in that it contains oatmeal.

Hot Dog Round-Ups
1 1/2 cups sifted enriched flour
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 c uncooked oats
1 cup finely grated cheese
4 Tbsp shortening
2/3 c milk
6 frankfurters
paprika
Barbecue Sauce:
2 cups cooked tomatoes
1/4 c ketchup
1 Tbsp vinegar
2 tsp prepared mustard
1 tsp salt

Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder; mix with rolled oats and grated cheese.

Cut in shortening until particles are size of rice grains; add milk and mix just until dry ingredients are dampened.

Roll out on lightly floured board to 1/8 inch thickness; cut into 6 rectangles, about 6x4 inches.

Wrap each frankfurter in biscuit dough, sealing edges with tines of a fork. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake in a very hot oven (450 F) 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with hot barbecue Sauce.

Combine all barbecue sauce ingredients and cook for 15 minutes.

Ok, that's all for now...or at least as much as my headache will allow me to type.

No comments: