Friday, February 01, 2008

Toasted Sesame Strips

Gayle over at http://grocerycartchallenge.blogspot.com/ wanted some thrifty snack ideas. While we don't make many snacks around here, usually going for the fruits, or leftovers, and occasionally popcorn, cereals or cheeses. I have been sometimes known to make some.

This is one is one I used to make as a kid. First off I should mention that my parents were born and grew up in Baltimore, MD. I was born there also, but pretty much grew up in Va. Why do I mention this? Because one of my favorite trips, was when we visited the Inner Harbor. We used to stop by the McCormick's place they had there and take the tour, EVERY time. I would beg to go every time. They no longer have that place there, but I still remember it and the teashop we'd always get tea at. I have a little cookbooklet from them, "Kids' Cookery: A Learn to Cook Book for Children". No date is on it, and I used it quite a bit when I first started to cook. And this is one treat my sister and I made quite a lot when we got home from school in the toaster oven. We also liked to have it instead of garlic bread too. And that was all to say that's why the instructions seem so simplistic too. As we got older we wouldn't bother cutting off the crusts, unless we wanted it fancy. And even got to the point were we would just spread softened butter and sprinkle on the garlic powder, but you use less butter/garlic powder if you go the melted route instead. :) You can just toast the slices whole instead of baking too. And a cheap place to get sesame seeds, the Asian grocery stores! Big bags for what you'd pay for a small jar. Same thing for poppy seeds, especially if you have an Indian Grocery store for those.

Toasted Sesame Strips

You will need:
Measuring spoons
A saucepan
a knife
a pastry brush
a baking sheet
2 Tbsp butter
1/8 tsp garlic powder
4 slices of bread
1/ 1/2 tsp sesame seeds or poppy seeds

Have an adult turn the oven on to 425 F.

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the garlic powder to the butter.

Cut the crusts off the bread slices

Use a pastry brush to brush the butter and garlic powder mixture on each slice of bread

Sprinkle sesame seeds or poppy seeds on top of each slice of bread

Cut each slice of bread into 3 strips

Place the strips on a baking sheet

Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Makes 12 strips, 3 per serving.

1 comment:

justjuls said...

My kids all love garlic bread - I never thought of making it for a snack! Thanks for sharing.