Monday, March 31, 2008

Menu Plan Monday

So, I'm trying to if not control my emotional eating over all this stuff, at least do damage control itself. On one of the WW boards I'm on, a bunch of the people are there are trying to basically "get back to basics" and get back what they should be doing to lose weight once more instead of just trying to do it. The other day I worked on just trying to drink my water. I had gotten off of just simply trying to do that. And I don't mean drinking loads of it, I mean simply drinking it. It is something that i need to make sure that I do since one of the side effects of the Topamax is kidney stones. So..umm...yeah....I need to make sure I'm drinking enough water. So far so good, I'm doing well with that. Now it's back to trying to make sure I get my 5 servings of fruits and vegetables (I'm going to shorten that to 5F&V). I'm really not so great about that all the time. The big thing? I hate eating salads - sometimes they're ok, but I really just hate them. And then I stop fixing side dishes or just fix a grain which isn't a vegetable or fix a potato, which is technically a vegetable, but not really, especially since I'm diabetic. *sigh* SO....vegetables....I'm working on it. I can't just increase my fruits - that diabetic thing. The nutritionist told me to limit myself to 2 not just because of my diabetes but also because of my triglycerides - so that's what I try to do. I've also let my "milk" slide to. Also not a good thing. That's the next thing I'll be working on - babysteps here. Anyway, here's my menu plan for the week, along with my choices for breakfast and lunch. For more Menu Ideas visit I'm an Organizing Junkie

So:
Breakfast Choices:
Scrambled Eggs
Oatmeal
Yogurt with fruit or Grape Nuts (actually it's Kashi's version)
Shredded Wheat

Lunch Choices:
Leftovers (usually my first choice)
Taco Salad
Soup
Shrimp (I found a few the other day in the freezer) with Frozen stir-fry veggies

Suppers:
Shepherd's Pie (last night with leftover roasted lamb)
Chicken Sausages with Couscous and steamed broccoli (tonight - recipe in post below)
BBQ Chicken Legs (From Everyday Food Show this weekend)
For other meals I'm thinking:
Pasta (from the pantry)
Meatloaf (From the freezer)

I just couldn't concentrate on the planning for a menu this week, so I settled on 3 days - It's better than nothing. And to get rid of that salad stuff that I hate? I made a taco salad for lunch yesterday. Something I haven't had in a while. I bought a can of Turkey chili at the grocery store yesterday and used that for it (and do you know how hard it was to find that turkey chili in the store, that section has gotten really tiny now!). I couldn't even finish it. I now have some apples, a few cherry tomatoes, some avocados, some oranges, 3 bananas, a grapefruit and some nonfat fruity yogurts. Yay! I also picked up something I don't normally buy: small containers of Jell-O and Tapicoa pudding. I know I can make my own, but I'm more inclined to eat it all if I make it, even if I portion it out. So I've got some mostly healthy snacks around too. The Pringles have left the building. (And there's no Fresh Mozzarella around!)

No comments: