Sunday, March 16, 2008

Penne alla Vodka

Penne alla Vodka
Serves 4
From: Weight Watchers Greatest Hits

I like to use Fat-Free Half and half - but I like it, and then I use more Parmesan cheese to make up the difference. [1/4 cup of heavy cream has 6 points, while the same amount of ff has 1. It is thinner, but if you increase the Parmesan it will thicken the sauce. I can add up to 7 Tbsp of Parmesan to make it 5 points]. Try it either way and decide what you want. I also kinda decide what I want to have around the house too - sometimes I can only find the FF in large containers and I don't really want that in the house, and other times I really don't want a container of heavy whipping cream around either.

2 c uncooked penne [I like using mini penne if I can find it - whole wheat is good too]
2 Tbsp reduced calorie tub margarine
1 shallot, finely chopped [or a mixture of garlic and onion]
1 plum tomato, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup reduced fat chicken broth
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp vodka
1/4 c diced tomato
2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley

Cook the penne according to package directions; drain and keep warm
Meanwhile, melt the margarine in a medium nonstick skillet, then add the shallot and tomato. Saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, tomato paste, and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, then add the cream and vodka. Cook, stirring constantly, until just heated through (do not boil). Pour the sauce over the penne and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the diced tomato, cheese and parsley and serve at once.

Per serving (3/4 cup): 278 cal, 9 g fat, 4 g sat fat, 19 mg chol, 201 mg sod, 36 g carb, 28 g fib, 73 mg calc. POINTS: 6

No comments: