Saturday, March 29, 2008

Recipe I need to remember.

Since I was able to buy some of this sausage marked down since it was short dated I needed to find something to use it. I only bought a package of it, even though it was marked down from it's usual $5.99 to $2.99 - since I didn't have a lot of room in the freezer and I wasn't sure what to do with it. This recipe should work out since Hubby loves couscous and I don't make it enough for him either. I buy pine nuts at Costco and keep them in the freezer and whole wheat couscous in bulk at the healthfood store. I think I used up all my pinenuts when I made pesto at the end of summer to save all my basil, so I might have to get some more pinenuts (actually I'm almost positive I have to because I've been through that drawer in there a few times and pinenuts aren't in there).


Chicken Sausage and Couscous
Serves 4
From Weight Watchers Annual Recipes for Success 2008

When kitchen time is limited, a one-skillet dinner is always a good idea. This one features savory chicken sausage links served over a bed of spicy couscous.

cooking spray
12 oz pkg chicken sausage with wild mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes (such as Gerhard's)
3/4 finely chopped onion
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 cups water
3/4 cup uncooked couscous
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage to pan; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove from pan; set aside, and keep warm.

Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and pine nuts; cook 3 minutes or until pine nuts begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to high; add 2 cups water to onion mixture. Bring to a boil, scraping bottom of pan to loosen browned bits. Add couscous and next 4 ingredients, stirring well. Arrange sausage over couscous. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

Yield: 4 servings (1 sausage link and 1 cup couscous) Cal 372 (34%from fat), fat 14.1 g, (sat 2.8g), Pro 16.4g, carb 48.4 g) fib 5.5 g, chol 62 mg, iron 2.2 mg, sod 57.4mg, calc 27 mg POINTS: 8

No comments: